The Kid

1921 silent comedy

Rating: 16/20

Plot: The Little Tramp stumbles upon an abandoned baby boy (the love child of a struggling artist and an aspiring actress) and after initially trying to get rid of him, finally decides to raise him as his own. Five years later, the tramp and the kid are working hard just to get by. The mother, now a successful performer, wants her kid back.

A bit overly sentimental, definitely a product of its time, with too many scenes that are just a little too precious. Most of the comedy works though, and I did laugh out loud, especially during the infamous "giant erection" scene. This stuff's timeless. In an age where everybody overacts, it's really an impressive performance from Jackie Coogan who, as a child actor, you'd almost expect to overact. At one point (still before he was ten), Coogan was one of the highest paid actors. The Kid doesn't seem as complete as the later Chaplin movies, and there's a dream sequence near the end that I absolutely can't stand. It seems tacked-on and completely unnecessary even though Charlie Chaplin flies during it.

Notes: Don't believe everything I type here. The "infamous" "giant erection" scene seems made up. Jackie Coogan being highly paid might be true. Flying Chaplin? That just sounds like a terrible band name.

3 comments:

cory said...

I completely agree with your review, although I am annoyed that the "giant erection" thing threw me for a moment. Coogan really is incredible. It is hard to believe he grows up to be Perry White in "Superman". I also loved the scenes where Chaplin fights for the boy, and the scene where he looses him from the bed is heartbreaking.

This is a very good movie (except for the angel scene), but I found myself comparing the syruppy Chaplin with all of the lighter Lloyd films I have been watching lately. Speaking of, I watched two other minor, but delightful Lloyd silents; "Grandma's Boy" and "Dr. Jack". I still haven't seen one that I would rate less than a 15. I would also rate "The Kid" a 16.

cory said...

meant loses...

Shane said...

I actually wrote about 'Grandma's Boy' on these pages, a very unfavorable (and likely unfair) review. In retrospect, it shouldn't have been one of the first Harold Lloyd movies I watched. I was so bored by it at the time though...did I really miss that much?