The Cameraman

1928 comedy

This is already on the blog, and my opinion hasn't really changed. Everybody should see this movie. I think this one is an example of a movie that is actually great rather than being just a great Buster Keaton movie. Apparently, I'm a little biased some times. A couple things:

1) Very few title cards used in this. They did a good job showing the "dialogue" nonverbally.

2) Marceline Day might have been Buster's most attractive love interest, good looking enough that I'm planning on using some of the tips I learned from A Guide for the Married Man and attempting to hook up with her.

3) I'm still convinced that Josephine the Monkey's performance in this is one of the best performances by monkey or human in movie history. Josephine makes Christian Bale look like a hack!

Now, for your review, my ranking of Buster Keaton's silent films:

1) The General
2) Steamboat Bill, Jr.
3) The Cameraman
4) Sherlock Jr.
5) Our Hospitality
6) The Navigator
7) Go West
8) Seven Chances
9) Three Ages
10) Battling Butler
11) College

I haven't seen The Saphead yet. I'm not sure why.

3 comments:

cory said...

I find it odd that you are reviewing this about a year after your last time, but I still love it.

I was going through Buster's filmography and got very sad. He had about ten years of absolute greatness and then about 38 years of embarrassing crap. My list:

1. The General -20
2. It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World -19
3. The Cameraman -18
4. The Navigator -17
5. Sherlock Jr. -16
6. The Scarcrow -16
7. Steamboat Bill Jr. -16
8. Our Hospitality -16

Yeah that's right, I included a film he is barely in (Mad Mad) and a short (Scarecrow), because that's how I roll... or something. I have a very hard time figuring out who I like best between Keaton, Lloyd, and Chaplin. It might be Lloyd by a pair of glasses.

Shane said...

I guess I should have said "silent features"...I did say "silent" so 'Mad Mad' is out! But if that's how a man rolls, who am I to stop him?

Harold, Buster, and Charlie...tough call. Lloyd's the most prolific, right? I have to catch up on my Harold Lloyd features. Buster would get my sentimental vote. Chaplin was such a well-rounded genius though...the acting, the writing/directing, the scoring. Plus, I'd give Chaplin the edge because he made those two silent movies well after the silent era was over. Lloyd and Keaton were ready to embrace the talkies, and there's not really anything wrong with that, but I've yet to see a good talkie from the 30s with either of them. By the time Chaplin made his first talkie, he was ready to rock it! And although I could see myself losing an argument about this, Chaplin's films always feel a little more modern to me.

I love 'em all, but I think I love Chaplin a tiny bit more. Maybe. I don't know. Ask me tomorrow.

cory said...

You make some good points. Chaplin is a little too sentimental for me sometimes, but I was very impressed with "Monsieur Verdoux", which is pretty freakin/ far from sentimental. I'll just wuss out and call it a three-way tie.