The Man Who Knew Too Much

1956 movie

Rating: 14/20 (Cory: 14/20; Dylan: 3/20)

Plot: Following a medical conference, Indianapolis doctor Ben McKenna decides to explore Morocco with his wife Jo and their son Hank. Bad idea since Morocco is apparently the most dangerous place on earth! After befriending a mysterious Frenchman on their bus, a series of events occur that lead to poor Hank being kidnapped and taken to London. Dr. McKenna knows too much, but he isn't allowed to reveal anything as he and Jo zip on over to London to look for Hank, even though Hank is sort of obnoxious.

This is not one of Alfred Hitchcock's better efforts. It's colorful and the textures of both people-packed Morocco and nearly-vacant London add to the film. I like Doris Day even when she's singing the seemingly endless "Que Sera Sera," and I like about half of what Jimmy Stewart is doing. But there are more than a few of those moments of Jimmy Stewart awkwardness, like in a very exciting scene where his character has trouble eating. I really like Reggie Nalder, the guy who plays the assassin, looking like the kind of guy who should be a villain in a James Bond movie. The story is good here, and the building up of suspense in a climactic scene at the Albert Hall is very well done. Unfortunately, this movie is way too long, gets really goofy, and has a sort of second ending that really takes away most of the wallop that the Albert Hall scene delivered. It's a second ending that is way too long on its own, but it's also completely preposterous. Oh, and then there's a third ending which is a silly joke. It all leaves a bad taste in my mouth and nearly makes me forget the positives about The Man Who Knew Too Much. One positive I didn't mention is a scene in a taxidermy shop. That scene was easily the best of the film, and it has very little to do with the story. It's probably not a good thing when a red herring is the best thing about the movie.

This was actually a historic occasion, marking the first time I've watched a movie with blog-reader Cory. Jimmy Stewart is his favorite actor, but look at that poster up there. The guy can't even act on a poster!

3 comments:

Barry said...

I cant believe you watched THIS movie with Cory. He likes Stewart the same way I like Stewart, and Jimmy made two great and one good Hitchcock movie....yet you dont watch Rear Window or Vertigo? You go with THIS?


I give it a 14...and I hate Doris Day in it. She is completely miscast. I hate the kid too....freaking obnoxious toad.


I agree the villain is great, and there is a real tension to the first ending, but it goes on FOREVER.

Ah well. I am glad you got to watch a movie with Cory. Get us some more GOOD Hitchcock.....I like Uncle Alfred.

Shane said...

This (and the superior 'The Wrong Man') both have "man" in the title...I can't break the streak, even with 'Vertigo' which is one of my favorite movies of all time.

Shane said...

God, I've lost sleep wondering when Doris Day would be (finally) honored by the Oscars. When she (finally) is, I will consider it one of the best days of my life. And Doris Day's!

Thanks for alerting us about the existance of this Facebook page.