The Thin Man

1934 murder mystery comedy

Rating: 17/20 (Jen: 16/20)

Plot: A thin man goes missing. After the murder of a couple of his acquaintances, retired detective Nick Charles, vacationing with his new wife Nora and their dog Asta, finds himself involved in the case. It's unfortunate because all he really wants to do is drink and spend Nora's money.

The first time I watched this, the mystery, even after William Powell's Nick summarizes the whole thing at a dinner party at the end of the movie, was a complete mystery to me. I lost interest in that part of the story, the part you'd think would be pretty important since, and just enjoyed the banter between Powell and Myrna Loy, the zippy dialogue and prickly but playful teasing. It was so entertaining, and I'd never heard early 30s movie banter this good before. Now that I've seen The Thin Man a second time, the mystery part of the plot still doesn't make all that much sense to me, but there's still something so fresh and fun about the rapport between the two leads. I love their little dog, too. This movie will be celebrating its 80th birthday in a few years (probably with a lot of drinking), but it's got ten times the laughs and fifty times the wit of a modern movie with "man" in the title like I Love You, Man. The Thin Man can't hide all its wrinkles. Every scene involving a gun looks dated because the characters hold their weapons in such an old-timey way. It's also very obvious that this was a quickie production. However, it's stuffed with a class and elegance that modern movies painfully lack, and I'm looking forward to watching the thirty-five sequels as I continue my quest to break the world record for watching the most consecutive movies with "man" in the title.

3 comments:

cory said...

This is a movie that could never be made today (comedies have gotten so much better and sophisticated). Full of charm and chemistry between the two leads, this film is just fun and irreverent. A 17, as well. I think Barry has the hots for Myrna Loy, so I'll be curious to see his take.

I'm not sure if you'll be watching "After the Thin Man" (with a miscast Jimmy Stewart!)during your man obsession, but it is worthwhile. It is not nearly as good, but has a few hilarious moments.

Another man suggestion: "The Man in the Iron Mask" with Dicaprio, Irons, and Malkovich is excellent, though my good opinion seems to be in the small minority.

Shane said...

That one's on the queue as well. That one = 'Iron Mask' there, but Jen and I have plans to watch the second thin man movie some time this week.

Barry said...

I do have the hots for Myrna Loy......and I give this movie an 18.



I actually enjoy After the Thin Man more than Cory, (I give it a 16) but yes, Stewart is miscast....although he does a fine job until the end.