The Music Man

1962 musical

Rating: 17/20 (Jen: 14/20)

Plot: A fast-talkin' travelling salesman
arrives in River City, Iowa to con its inhabitants by promising to create a boy's marching band despite having no musical training. He falls for the librarian, the town whore, and cleverly avoids pressures from the members of the school board and the town's mayor to show them his credentials. Everybody sings. A lot.

At two and a half hours, this is at times a test of endurance. If you don't like musicals, you're not going to like The Music Man. It's a musical in every sense of the word. At least it never seems like a stage musical though. The camera's fluent, weaving its way through the colorful characters and the colorful River City, and personality just bursts through the screen. Not literally. I would have been pissed if all those colors ended up on my living room floor. However, if I had to have a movie all over my living room, The Music Man wouldn't be a bad choice. It really is gorgeous. Director Morton DaCosta does a terrific job making Iowa look like the most exciting place on earth. An interesting thing happens to a person physiologically while watching The Music Man:

1) You're so happy that you're watching this during the first half. You vibrate internally, your left arm twitching abnormally. If male, you may have a boner.

2) Around "76 Trombones" you lose control and run head first into a wall, an attempt to stop obsessing over band instruments as phallic symbols.

3) You wake up thinking, because you dreamed it, that there was a Buddy Hackett nude scene, but while you're enjoying the memory, you notice a sharp pain in your lower back and discover that somebody has removed one of your kidneys. During the fifth reprise of "Gary, Indiana," you investigate and discover that you somehow removed your own kidney.

4) At a little over the halfway point, Ronny Howard begins speaking to you subliminally. He tells you, in what might be the worst lisp in cinematic history, that you should find Satan and, no matter what he tells you, kill him. He hints that Satan may be living inside your puppy.

5) You decide you need a break and pause the movie to see if your children still remember who you are or if they've all graduated from college and gotten jobs.

6) Buddy Hackett begins dancing and saying, "Shipoopi!" over and over again. You become a polytheist, believing instantly that every role Buddy Hackett played in his career is a separate god. You have to pause the movie again to found a religion based on your beliefs. You put on a white shirt and a white tie, travel door-to-door in your neighborhood, and let everybody know about the power of Shipoopi. You're assaulted and eventually stoned to death. You resurrect in three days in an ill-fitting plaid suit you've never seen before.

7) During the eighteenth reprise of "Gary, Indiana," you start thinking about Robert Preston living in contemporary Gary, Indiana, singing and dancing in his checkered suit, and being murdered in broad daylight by thugs. You can no longer concentrate on The Music Man because you can't see through your laughter. You pause the movie and laugh for thirty-seven straight hours before you're able to resume.

8) More internal vibration!

9) You finally finish the movie after a month, realizing that you can no longer see out of your right eye, hear out of your left ear, smell out of your right nostril, feel with your left hand, or taste anything white. You decide that it's worth it.

Side note: I honestly feared for my life while watching The Music Man. I really thought Jen was planning on killing me.

Shipoopi! Shipoopi!

6 comments:

cory said...

I think you could hurt something by watching this directly after "The Old Man and the Sea". This is a fine musical; colorful, fun, good story, etc., but it is still a musical (automatic 1 to 5 point deduction). "Grease" (#149) and "West Side Story" (#278) are the only musicals in my top-300.

I will say that I owe this one a great deal as it was directly responsible for "The Simpsons" "Monorail" episode... an all-time great. No, neither show gave me an erection, though "The Simpsons" came close... heh heh heh, I wrote "came".

Sidenote: I believe boner is one of the funniest words in the English language.

A 15 for "The Music Man".
A 20 for "The Simpsons"
A 20 for boners.

Shane said...

Any unfair deduction you penalize musicals with is moot...Buddy Hackett is in this!

Grease? Oh, boy...

'Sat. Night Fever,' 'The Wizard of Oz,' probably 'The Wiz,' 'The Umbrellas of Cherbourg,' 'Forbidden Zone' (recently reviewed),' 'Nightmare Before Christmas,' 'Cabaret,' 'Chicago,' 'Mary Poppins,' 'Moulin Rouge,' 'Singin' in the Rain,' 'Team America: World Police,' and probably 'The Sound of Music' (been awhile) are all better than 'Grease'...and 'West Side Story' is better than 'Grease'...

You don't count the Disney cartoons as musicals? I would. That would give you a musical in your top ten, I believe. The Beatles' movies? The South Park movie?

cory said...

Hmmm... you make some very interesting points, and I had to give it some thought. "Beauty and the Beast", "A Hard Day's Night", "The Wizard of Oz", and "Aladdin" are all favorite movies. I guess the difference for me is that I think of these movies as something else first, and then the music as secondary. When I think of "Tarzan", I think of the cartoon and story first, not that it is focusing on being a musical. The music adds to the story, not the reverse. The Beatles movies are non-traditional and, for me, they are focused on the personalities of the group.

"Singin' in the Rain" and "The Sound of Music" are among movies you listed that I really, really like, but are not top films. What I have an issue with is when the songs break into the believability of the story. Instead of being immersed in the film, the contrivance makes me remember that I am just watching a movie.

All of this kind of sounds like a big rationalization, but movies I feel are just there to be a musical don't connect with me as well due to the artifice. As far as your issues with "Grease", I don't get it; all-time great songs, charismatic leads, great dance numbers, fun story. For me, it kicks the ass of half of the moves you listed. Saying that "The Wiz" and "Team America..." are better films isn't even funny and shows how subjective musicals can be.

Shane said...

I see what you're saying and it makes complete sense. There is a big difference in a movie (or stage production, I guess) where the songs are an excuse to have a plot of some kind and a movie where a great story is an excuse to throw some songs in as a sort of enhancement.

I was kidding about 'The Wiz' as I'm not even sure I've seen it as a movie. I saw a high school stage presentation of it because one of my friends was the witch.

I stand by 'Team America: World Police,' an underrated an unjustly-maligned classic.

Truth is, I haven't seen 'Grease' since I was much smaller. I didn't like it then, would probably like it a tiny bit more now, and will give it a shot in the near future.

Have you seen 'Umbrellas of Cherbourg' by the way? If not, it's a future five!

cory said...

You big kidder.

I will say "Team Police:..." has great songs. Hilarious stuff. I just didn't care for the rest of the over-the-top film much.

Definitely check out "Grease" again. I love that movie.

I will add "Umbrellas..." to my queue. I taped "Azetec Mummies..." last night and will watch it today.

Shane said...

'Team America: World Police' had to be over-the-top...it was satirizing over-the-top action movies and over-the-top politics.

I've yet to find a single person who agrees with me that 'Team America' is even a good movie, let alone one of the greatest artistic achievements in American history.