The Wrong Man

1956 Hitchcock movie

Rating: 15/20 (Jen: 15/20)

Plot: The Right Man has been flying around the neighborhood committing armed robbery. The Wrong Man, jazz bassist Manny Balestrero, looks a lot like The Right Man, and is mistakenly identified as The Right Man even though he's actually The Wrong Man. He's arrested for the crimes, and he and his wife, The Wrong Man's Right Wife, have to find an alibi to prove The Wrong Man's innocence.

Ah, Hitchcock, you're a tricky one. After he gets his shadowy cameo out of the way early, he gives us a scene with our protagonist walking out of the Stork Club, his place of employment, and down a sidewalk while flanked by a couple coppers. It's a wonderful bit of visual foreshadowing. There are a bunch of shots I really like in this one. Hitchcock gives this "true [suspense] story" a noir flavo[u]r, and the way the city and its shadows are filmed perfectly complements poor Manny's bewilderment and fears. The cinematography is simple and almost frill-free but it's effective. I really like a scene after Fonda moves into his jail cell and the camera follows him through the tiny rectangular hole in the door. I also think a scene in the courtroom where Fonda's character looks around and notices that nobody is paying attention is really good. This is far from a Hitchockian masterpiece though. Whether it actually happened that way or not, I really dislike the wife-goes-crazy subplot. I just didn't buy that whole thing. I also thought parts of the story were a bit rushed, causing it to lose a little of the effect. And there are a few scenes with children that are just brutal, especially one involving a couple girls announcing that the previous owner of an apartment has died and then laughing hysterically. And back to Hitchcock's trickiness: Is The Right Man seen in this movie before the big revelation at the end? That'd be cute, Alfred. Real cute.

7 comments:

cory said...

One of my least favorite Hitchcock films, "The Wrong Man" almost seems manufactured and goes through the numbers (and was not very exciting or believable). It is the only Hitchcock I can ever remember where I was watching the clock. Also, Fonda is no Stewart or Grant. A 12.

Shane said...

I like Fonda.

Barry said...

I like Fonda too........but this is not one of his better roles.


Fonda in Mr.Roberts or Grapes of Wrath...fantastic.


The Wrong Man....its an eh movie for me. a 14

cory said...

Let me clarify. Fonda is no Stewart or Grant in respect to the quality of their work in Hitchock directed films. Although not a great father or warm soul, Henry was a great actor who made many great films. Here:

Jezebel -14
Young Mr.Lincoln -15* (a star will mean an especially noteworthy performance by Henry Fonda, great Anerican actor and former roommate and best friend of Jimmy Stewart, God)
Drums Along the Mohawk -15
The Grapes of Wrath -17*
The Lady Eve -16
The Ox-Bow Incident -18*
My Darling Clementine -16*
Fort Apache -16
Mister Roberts -17*
The Wrong man -12
12 Angry Men _20**
Advise and Consent -16
The Longest Day -14
The Best Man -16
Fail-Safe -19*
In Harm's Way -15... sorry Barry, I know this is a favorite
Firecreek -14
Once Upon a Time in the West -20*
The Cheyenne Social Club -17 this grade is totally unreliable as I loved this when I was about 13 and loved the idea of prostitutes and running a brothel... I have not dared to see it again for fear it would tarnish my memories
Sometimes a Great Notion -15
Midway -16
Rollercoaster- ? liked it when 12 or 13
The Swarm -? didn't like it much when 12 or 13... I'm sure I would like it much more now
Meteor -see "The Swarm"
On Golden Pond -17*

I too liked Henry Fonda, I am just not nuts about "The Wrong Man", or him in it.

cory said...

Corrections: he is (was) an American and "Once Upon a Time in the West" gets * to infinity.

Barry said...

I think I like Fondas films a bit more than you...at least on the whole. (Except Once Upon a Time in the West...for some strange reason that movie ended real abruptly...like they meant to have an additional ten minutes but didnt. Maybe it was just the COPY I SAW??)

Some of the movies you rated that I liked better.

The Grapes of Wrath..a 19. Thats a damn good movie.

Ox Bow Incident...an 18 like you..but a very very high one.

My Darling Clementine..an 18. I like this Wyatt Earp.

Advise and Consent...a 17..very literate movie

Fort Apache..a 17..even with the annoying adult Shirley Temple.

In Harms Way...Yeah Im insane, but for some reason I just always loved this stupid movie. Fonda is barely in it though..its a pure John Wayne film. 19


I agree on a 17 for Mr Roberts, but Fonda is great in it. I never liked 12 Angry Men as much as the rest of the world, and only give it a 17. On Golden Pond was just drek to me...but I have no soul. a 13.

Shane said...

Two things:

1) An adult Shirley Temple is nowhere near as annoying as a young Shirley Temple.

2) I saw 'On Golden Pond' once, at the wrong time. I think I was 12. That movie ain't for 12 year olds, so all memories of that movie aren't good.