Liquid Sky

1982 low-budget sci-fi flick

Rating: 8/20

Plot: Some aliens you can't see come to earth in search of drugs, disturbing some nice lesbians in the process.

I don't like the color of the 1980s. There are a lot of cult movies that I really like, and there are some that I really hate. I failed to connect with Liquid Sky at all, saw it as a barely-moving and pretentious bunch of silliness. Cardboard cutouts of the actors in this would have probably shown more emotion although I will say this--those cats can dance! Ah! That's what this reminds me of--Breakin' as directed by Derek Jarman but with lesbians, an irritating electronic score, and a complete lack of breakdancing. This probably fair since he had nothing since he had nothing to do with any of this, but I'm going to go ahead and blame David Bowie for this one. Or my brother. It's the exact type of movie I would have tried my best to love as a teenager, but it bored me to technicolor tears as a middle-aged man.

2 comments:

rio blanco racing said...

you completely failed to mention the incredible acting. come on the one chick has a double role(one of which is as a male!!!!) i think she fucks herself. i thought some of the set design was cool. and yes does seem like a derick jarmen movie. i think i gave it an 8 as well

l@rstonovich said...

I tried to love this in Jr. High because there were always ads for it in Heavy Metal magazine. I failed.