Urine Couch AM Movie Club: Green Zone

2010 liberal propaganda

Rating: 14/20

Plot: Matt Damon's sent to Iraq to look for Weapons of Mass Destruction, but he can't find any and starts whining about it.

I really wish this didn't have any music. As soon as the big music comes in (and really as soon as Matt Damon's big face is on the screen), I'm reminded that this is just a big Hollywood movie. I kept asking myself, "Who's that girl? She looks so familiar!" which, after I found out who that girl was, reminds me that it's been too long since I've seen the American version (read: superior version) of The Office since "that girl" was Holly. This movie sort of just goes through the motions, depending more on a subject matter that some might consider controversial. The actions scenes are filmed well, and I'm saying that despite the amount of shaky camera use. And the acting is really good from top to bottom although somebody with a smaller face than Matt Damon easily could have filled those combat boots. I was really impressed with Brandon Gleeson and Khalid Abdalla, and I always like Greg Kinnear for reasons that I can never explain. The movie lags and drags a bit and isn't really ever as thrilling as it needs to be as a thriller or as revealing as it needs to be as a revealer, but Gene Siskel's ghost and I weren't unhappy that we sat through it.
I befriended a mentally-challenged prostitute while watching this movie, by the way. I'm pretty sure drugs had taken away her ability to make words, and I could barely understand anything she said. I do know she didn't seem to have any real interest in watching the rest of Green Zone with me. Said it would cost me fifty bucks!

1 comment:

cory said...

I completely agree with your review (sans the prostitute stuff). Matt Damon seems to be in a variety of films, and is always good, but I have a hard time buying him in these roles. Maybe he is too distinctive and familiar. "Green Zone" is OK, but I would rather just have a movie that attacks Paul Bremer directly. A 13.