Urine Couch AM Movie Club: All About Steve

2009 comedy

Rating: 9/20

Plot: Crossword puzzle writer Mary meets a camera man for a CNN-like news channel and becomes convinced that they are made for each other. Despite his complete lack of interest, she and her red boots follow him all over the country.

File this under Awkward instead of Funny. Now I did sort of like the parodying of network news, the representation of these news people as nothing more than vultures scrambling around and hoping for tragedy. Thomas Haden Church's character was almost funny. Geraldo also has a cameo, and that guy is always funny. It was as if the makers of this movie said, "Uh oh. This movie's goin' nowhere, guys! Somebody summon Geraldo's mustache!" Sandra Bullock won a Razzie for her performance in this and famously showed up to accept. But you know what? It's not Razzie-worthy stuff. In fact--and you can accuse me of being silly for thinking this--I didn't think she was much worse than she was in that movie about the fat kid playing football. The problem is more her character. Sure comedy seems to fit on Bullock about as well as those ridiculous boots, but the things the writers of this make her character say in the name of so-called humor makes her character not only irritating but almost impossible to care about. I want to type something about DJ Qualls here, that weird looking little guy with the nose, but I can't think of anything to say. And I'm pretty sure Bradley Cooper is in every other movie that I see these days. I'm really not sure there wasn't a good movie idea here, but with all the tornadoes, Wild West hostage situations, and other too-crazy shenanigans, this just got too goofy, and the cliched and slapped-together crossword connections grew tiresome. Yes, bonus points were awarded for Geraldo's mustache. I'd love to see a biopic about that mustache, by the way. Not Geraldo--just the 'stache. Bradley Cooper can play the mustache. Get crackin', Hollywood!

2 comments:

rio blanco racing said...

sandra looks insane

Barry said...

I saw five or ten minutes of this...early part of the movie where Bullock gets fired from her job because she makes that crossword puzzle "all about Steve."


At the point where she acts all surprised and confused about why she is being dismissed...I changed the channel.


It does not sound like I missed anything.