All the Money in the World


2017 drama based on true events

Rating: 14/20

Plot: When rich-guy J. Paul Getty's grandson is kidnapped, his mother expects him to help out with the ransom. Getty, however, wants nothing to do with that. Mom and Getty's security guy Marky Mark have to figure out another way to get back her son before he loses more ears.

It's really amazing how they wiped Kevin Spacey out of this movie. Plummer is really good as his replacement, and I can't see how all of his scenes were done in nine days and this thing was put together in essentially a month to have it ready for its original release date.

You always wonder about the accuracy of these "based on true events" films. I imagine this is Hollywooded up quite a bit, probably for the better. There are moments that are tense, and I like the juxtaposition of Gail's love for her kid and Getty's love for his wealth.

I didn't like Michelle Williams, who seems like she's clearly trying to win an award, very much. I don't know anything about the real Gail, so her portrayal could be 100% accurate. Maybe I just don't like Gail. But Christopher Plummer is a joy to watch even though I'm not sure he's doing anything spectacular here.

No comments: