Slack Bay


2016 lunacy

Rating: 14/20

Plot: In the early part of the 20th Century, a pair of detectives try to get to the bottom of a missing tourist epidemic at the titular vacation spot while a pair of kids fall in love.

I don't believe I've seen another movie from director Bruno Dumont whose other movies seem like they might be a little heavier than this one. This absurdist mystery throws in magical realism, a little cannibalism, some slapstick, and a generous helping of black humor. One of the main appeals is the ridiculous performances, especially from Fabrice Luchini and Juliette Binoche, the former who brings a wide-eyed idiocy and the silliest walk I think I've ever seen while the former just goes nuts. It never really completely gels, likely because I can't convince myself that it's about anything, but it's fun for those with a tolerance for absurdist French comedies.

No comments: