Personal Shopper


2016 supernatural mystery

Rating: 12/20

Plot: A personal shopper tries to get some kind of sign from her dead twin brother.

I don't think Kristen Stewart can act.

Writer/director Oliver Assayas seems to want to intentionally perplex and leave things open-ended, and although I don't mind that at all with a movie, this wasn't engaging at all. There are loose ends--a vomiting ghost, for instance--that aren't sufficiently resolved, and so much of the movie was just Stewart, who can't act, shopping or looking at her smartphone. It was boring.

I think this movie might actually be about smartphones, but I'm not sure what it would be trying to say.

It's possible that I'd like this movie more if I could put some of its pieces together, but I don't really want to think about it anymore.

3 comments:

cory said...

This was one of the top-20 films from a Metacritic year-end list. It shouldn't have been. Stewart takes understated acting to new levels, sucking every bit of energy out of every scene. She is the acting equivalent of a Quaalude. The film itself made no sense, unless it was all in her head, which would make it boring and unoriginal. There were a few scenes that I liked but mostly it was artsy dreck that didn't know what it wanted to say.

cory said...

Oh...an 11.

Shane said...

I was telling a friend of mine that I kept seeing how terrific her performance in this was. That was before I watched it, and I had trouble believing it because I haven't seen her demonstrate any sort of range at all and never give a performance that I thought was any good. This was the same kind of thing! Your Quaalude analogy is apt!