The Trip to Italy


2014 road trip comedy

Rating: 14/20

Plot: Coogan and Brydon travel through Italy, eating food and sharing impressions.

They're not as feisty in this one as they were in The Trip, but there's still enough tension to give their relationship a comedic edge. This is pretty much the same as that first movie, so if you liked what you saw there, you're likely to enjoy this. More impressions, more shots of food being prepared, more banter. This adds the beautiful landscapes of Italy and Alanis Morissette sing-a-longs.

This trip made me laugh just as the last one did, and I like the non-comedic sides of these characters, too. They each have personal conflicts, and most of the time, the writers don't waste a lot of the audience's time giving a bunch of unnecessary background. The drama settles in as naturally as the comedy.

My favorite bits might have been during their visit to Pompeii.

I was just skimming user reviews on IMDB for this. People really seem to hate it. It's unclear from most of them whether they've watched the first one or not. I'm sure they'd hate that, too.

I'll watch the third of these soon enough.

No comments: