Society


1989 horror comedy

Rating: 12/20

Plot: A semi-popular teenager learns some startling things about his family and their rich friends. And we're all introduced to the wonderful world of shunting.

I forgot to write about this one, and I apologize if you only have stuck with me as one of my 3 1/2 readers because you respect my ability to write about movies I see in the order that I saw them. I won't, however, forget the final 20 minutes or so--the shunting sequence. It's some of the weirdest movie you're likely to see, and its weirdness almost clashes with the stuff that preceded it. There are odd touches throughout--a shower scene, an odd sex scene, some strange special effects--but nothing sets you up for what happens in that final 20 minutes.

Any satire here doesn't work so well, and I'm not sure if it's because it's too obvious or because it's submerged in all this weirdness.

This is definitely a B-movie. The pacing feels off, and the motivations for all of the characters doesn't always make sense. It's the sort of movie that seems like it was created solely to be a cult classic. It's not something I was really familiar with, so I'm not sure how much of a cult following this one has. It definitely should have one though.

No comments: