Call Me by Your Name


2017 drama

Rating: 16/20

Plot: A 17-year-old living in Italy with his anthropologist father begins a sexual relationship with a much-older American man.

I had a lot of trouble relating to the main character's experiences in this. It wasn't because of the homosexuality at all because I'm probably as gay as they come. Instead, it was because I just didn't have any relationships like this, passionate and lively flings that had any sort of shelf life. In a way, I think that made the experience better. I've not seen a movie in a long time that did such a good job of allowing me to live vicariously as another human being for a couple of hours. I was sitting in my seat reminiscing about a dreamy experience that I've never actually experienced, and there was something magical about the whole thing. This unfolds so naturally, and by that, I mean un-artificially. It's a different sort of movie.

This Timothee Chalamet kid can act. There are moments when I wasn't quite convinced, but none of those moments were the moving finale of this from the perspective of a fireplace. Armie Hammer also dances to the Psychedelic Furs a couple of times in this if that's your thing.

No comments: