The Cloverfield Paradox


2018 sequel or maybe prequel

Rating: 9/20

Plot: I really don't feel like doing plot synopses anymore.

Netflix has done it again!

I was intrigued by the marketing for this, but the movie is nearly incomprehensible and the whole thing feels like it was halfway completed before J.J. and company decided it was a Cloverfield movie. It feels shoehorned into that burgeoning-but-somehow-already-tired cinematic universe.

Maybe I'd care about some of these characters in another alternate universe? The characters in the two or however-many they inhabit in this movie didn't do it for me.

Some surreal sci-fi imagery--worms, a disembodied arm, Chris Dowd--and a pretty cool gyrating space station weren't nearly enough to keep me interested in this mess.

Whereas the first Cloverfield movie and the John Goodman thing were successful--though I didn't care for 10 Cloverfield Lane--because of their simplicity and quiet foreboding, this one is sprawling and incoherent and far too ambitious.

No comments: