Eyes Wide Shut

1999 drama

Rating: 37/20

Plot: A well-known scientologists attempts to convince the world that he is not a homosexual. Everybody ends up naked. Masks are worn. Furniture is abused.

Ok. First off, I have to make it clear that this one doesn't actually count toward the 365. The host of a weekly poker game inexplicably put it on while we played, and even though I was facing the right direction and watched quite a bit of it between hands, it didn't have enough of my attention to really give it a fair rating. It's as mysterious and creepy and sensual and audacious and beautifully shot as I remember it. It also still seems unfinished though, like Kubrick never got a chance to edit the thing. When I saw this the first time, it was a little before I had started obsessively rating movies. I'll have to watch it within the next couple years to give it a number. Or maybe six or seven times.

Special note: This is a weird movie for me to sort of watch with a bunch of guys. All my attempts to discuss the cinematic value of Eyes Wide Shut were met with comments like "Nicole Kidman's got a nice tail" and "Look at him pound that one". To be completely honest, however, that guy was really pounding that one.

There is not a picture of me watching this artsy-fartsy parade of flesh.

3 comments:

l@rstonovich said...

Hey Pappy I miss you! (gay!)


http://wrongwaywizard.blogspot.com/2008/10/bore-me-again-o-wrong-way-wizard.html

I am half-way thru this analysis, and thoroughly enjoying it, and I just got to a part that discusses "gay!" so I thought of you.

Unknown said...

I really thought I was getting away with something when this movie appeared on HBO back in the 90s. I stayed up late and watched it thinking it was my golden ticket into manhood.

The joke was on me. I literally sat there and thought, "Are all adult movies this slow and boring!?!"

The sex wasn't sexy or even hot; it was just...there...and weird. I guess I did learn one thing as a puberty eagle scout: I'm not really into fetishes. This movie fucked my "id" up in so many ways.

Yes, Kidman is a hottie with a body, and yes I thought those masked old guys were really pounding away, too. But, I would have been satisfied for some gratuitous breasts...not being gang banged in a mansion. Or a slick naked chick...not being ceremoniously raped by a gaggle of guys in cloaks and masks.

You know the sickest part about this movie, though? It's not really the visuals. It's the score. That mind-numbingly monotone piano! If the extremely slow pacing and watching-grass-grow narrative doesn't make you go insane, then the repetitious two-noted piano score is there to ensure complete lunacy.

Gotta hand it to Kubrick: One of the few directors who can play with your mind! Well played, sir.

Shane said...

I've really only watched this movie once, right after it came out on video cassette. I can't really even remember if I thought it was any good at all. I would probably lean toward "not good" though, but I have always planned on seeing it again, probably not at a poker game though. I did think it was gorgeous though, and I think Nicole Kidman is gorgeous even though she looks like she's made of the same material that Barbie dolls are made of.

I have a head start with this movie though. I've actually never had sexual intercourse while not wearing a mask.