The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

1964 romantic musical

Rating: 16/20 (Jen: 17/20)

Plot: A poor mechanic from Cherbourg, apparently a magical land where everybody sings every word they utter, is in love with a 17-year-old slut who works with her mother at a shop that sells umbrellas. It rains a lot, but the mother and daughter are still faced with financial problems. The mechanic, Guy, has problems of his own as he worries about his dying godmother and tries to get in Genevieve's pants. He succeeds but subsequently gets word that he has to go away with the army for two years. Genevieve, pregnant, catches the eye of a wealthy man with a moustache, and even though she's damaged goods, he also wants to get in her pants. Her mother encourages it. Time passes, and more umbrellas are purchased.

Not for every taste. Indeed, every line in the movie is sung. (Quick The People's Tongue reference: Music is by Michael Legrand who TPT sample on Sonny Bono's Favorites. The Tiny Tim song, I think.) Having to read everything that is sung almost becomes too much, and the story starts out so melodramatically dull. Turns out there's enough interesting edges to the plot, at least in an adult way. The best thing about the movie, however, is the vibrant colors and lovely shots. There are a lot of umbrellas, too. In fact, there are probably more umbrellas in this hour and a half film than there are f-words or variations of the f-word in The Big Lebowski. The worst thing about this movie is that it's an inspiration for Down with Love (8/20) and Across the Universe (9/20). Almost overly peachy and cheesy and ultra-lively (swooning camera and gaudy wallpapers and mad walk-on choreography), this one stays in the "good" range by remaining completely original and, I'll admit it, moving. Jen and I took turns singing the subtitles and the trivialities that make their way into the lyrics do seem funny at times, but there's at least one of those trivialities that really grabbed me.

Special note: After I finish writing and directing my sequel to The Diary of Anne Frank, I may tackle a sequel to this one in which Francois and Francois meet in college, fall in love, and birth mutants.

Jen and I are in love. Here we are watching one of her picks:

2 comments:

cory said...

Do you have any video of the sing-a-long?

Given my general reaction to musicals, you would think a film that doesn't have a single spoken word would be a problem for me, and I'm shocked that I liked this as much as did. Your review was exactly right. The colors were beautiful, the music was great, the film style was excellent, and I even cared about the story (although it could have done a better job expaining her fickleness, other than she was 17, and why he didn't write more).

A 16, as well, and thanks for the recommedation. Do you have another?

Shane said...

Do I have another? Boy, do I! 'Robot Monster,' a completely inept film from 1953! It's terrifying though, so don't watch it alone.

Recommending a musical is definitely a risky move. I'm glad you liked it. I too was surprised at how much I liked this. It was a rare movie that Jen picked to watch, and she doesn't have the best track record.

No video of the sing-a-long unfortunately. I took pictures of myself watching movies (and apparently eating) back then, but no video.