The Dark Knight Rises

2012 blockbuster

Rating: 16/20 (Kent: 19/20; Dara: 15/20)

Plot: [Spoiler free!] One of my creepier experiences was when I was at a grocery store in Terre Haute called Great Scot. I was eight, and one of my favorite things to do was roll the Coke bottles down the noisy conveyor belt. My mother wandered off--as she frequently did--to take care of the bottles, and I was approached by a guy in a raggedy trench coat. He had a mustache, one of those mustaches, and I didn't trust him, mostly because one of his hands was submerged in the folds of the trench coat. In my eight-year-old brain, I could only assume that he either had a gun or a penis in that unseen hand, and either way, I wasn't comfortable with the way this trip to the grocery store was going to end. "Hey, kiddie," he said in a way that could be described as damp, "want to see my Batman comic." I ran off and found my mom loading up the cart with Zingers and told her about the encounter. "Well," she said, "I've warned you about that."

Is there another third superhero (I know, I know--Batman ain't a superhero) movie that is any good at all? Superman III is a travesty. Spiderman III is embarrassing. I don't remember the other Batman's third movie, but I assume it's awful. I had my doubts about this one, but it's a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy. The Dark Knight is better, mostly because of Ledger's use of hand sanitizer, but I really enjoyed where this one took the characters and where it left them. Now, you need to be aware that I am typing these words as a person who does not read Batman comic books. I don't know how faithful Nolan is to those, but I really don't care about that sort of thing all that much. There are a handful of new additions to the cast. As much as I like Matthew Modine, I don't really understand why his character is around so much or why he's Matthew Modine. I wasn't excited to see any Catwomen in this, maybe because of that dreadful Halle Berry movie, but Anne Hathaway has a nice shape to her and her character was really interesting. The rapport with her and Bale was great. The other new addition is the villain Bane played by Tom Hardy. He's a good villain, a combination of evil brains and terrifying brawn, but having to follow the Joker? Those are tough purple britches to fill! Still, it's a great character until the very end when something unfortunate happens which lame-ifies him a bit more than I'm comfortable with. A lot was made of the voice when the previews came out, but I really liked it even though I really wish I had subtitles during a couple scenes. It was Sean Connery in a gas mask. Bale's voice remains irritating. I guess I understand the need to disguise his voice, but why does he need to use the deep-voiced, gravelly Batman voice when it's just him and Alfred? Bale, as I said an hour or so ago, makes a good Batman, but I think he's an even better Bruce Wayne, and this trilogy is really more about Bruce Wayne and his redemption than it is Batman. Or maybe it's about Gotham City, a microcosm of modern humanity. Marion Cotillard isn't very good in this, but Joseph Gordon-Levitt turns on his action hero switch and makes his character work. I also really liked how this connected to the other two movies, referencing the first thematically and tying it all together in some nifty and relatively non-cheesy ways. This movie does have one of the lamest death scenes you're ever likely to see. No, I'm not even talking about that one. I'm talking about the one that comes after that. There were also all kinds of time problems during the climax. I thought for a moment that I was watching 24 or something. As with the first movie, you've got some stuff that happens right when it's supposed to happen, but I can probably ignore that. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention Michael Caine when I wrote about Batman Begins, and I don't want to forget him here. Where the other actors play their parts, Caine manages to rise to a new level here. His story in this third movie was surprisingly touching. These movies aren't perfect, but even though I'm far from an expert on this kind of movie, I'm pretty sure it'll be the best superhero trilogy for a very long time. At least until they get start on those Plastic Man movies.

Am I weird for wanting a Catwoman action figure? How about if I purchase one while wearing a trench coat?

11 comments:

Barry said...

I know Cory has not seen this yet, so I will be as vague as possible with my critique.


I give this one a 14....there are good parts, but overall its scattershot and never seems to get a true focus. For instance, there is no reason for Bruce to be in the physical condition he is in at the beginning of the movie, and that particular subplot was just abandoned with the use of what looked to be a couple of rubber bands. I really REALLY liked Anne Hathaways form in that damn Catwoman outfit. That girl is flat out put together right. She does a good job portraying the character she does, however she is kind of wasted in this movie. I would have far preferred a film with her as the central villain, or at least a more deadly antagonist. I thought the Bane character was pretty much a waste, and the sudden change in his status towards the end of the picture is jarring and diminished him even more.

The acting was outstanding all around. The set pieces and costumes were mostly perfect. (Although Batman still does not quite look like Batman)


I guess what did not work for me, is how small Nolan makes Batman out to be after its all said and done. It comes down to an entire career as Batman distilled into the first two movies. He faced a grand total of two villains in his career, and he then goes into retirement??? (Its how the movie starts out, so I am not giving anything away.) Hes never the smartest guy in the room in this movie, and that is the essence of Batman. He ALWAYS has a plan, and he ALWAYS is a step ahead of the game. Nolans Batman is ALWAYS a step or two behind everyone he faces. There is not one instance in this film where Batman outsmarts the villains. He outphysicals them, or gets someone else to pull his ass out of trouble, but he never actually is someone to be feared or impressed by.

After Cory sees this, I can be more specific, but thats where I have the issues with the movie.

Shane said...

Cory can avoid the comment section. I'm spoilerin' it up!

I understand your critique, I guess.

I just assumed Bruce Wayne was limping about because of general wear and tear. He wasn't really beaten up in that second movie though, was he?

I didn't have a problem with how Catwoman was used. I don't really know how catwoman is used in the comics or anything (same as the television show?) but I liked the chemistry between those two characters. Some Catwoman stuff was kind of predictable though.

Bane? I agree--he just becomes a big pussy in the end. I can use that word because I have no female readers.

I understand what you mean about Batman's career. Batman isn't even in this movie all that much at all. It's barely a Batman movie, right? And I guess I can see what you mean about Batman outsmarting villains. He's a crafty ninja in these movies--at least the first two--and does get lucky a few times. I'm not really looking at the character Nolan and Bale create outside of what he is in these movies though. I do think he's pretty fearsome and impressive in those first two movies though. In this, he's older and beaten up.

When I found out you were lukewarm about this third installment, I predicted it would have to do with Batman as a character. That, or you'd have the same problems I did with Bane's silly and anticlimactic demise or the way things happen so fast at the end. Seriously, it's like months of absolutely nothing and then BAM BAM BAM with everything happening right when it's supposed to.

Kent? Chime in, buddy!

Kairow said...

"There is not one instance in this film where Batman outsmarts the villains"

Except the finale, where he fixed the auto pilot.

This was an example of smart popcorn movie. The pacing was far better than in TDK. The performances were better in TDK.

Catwoman was a wonderful surprise.

Barry said...

So I went and saw this again with Cory. I have to admit I liked it a little more the second time. The whole injured Bruce Wayne thing at the beginning still makes no sense and offered nothing up to the actual story, plus the various weird things like policemen living underground for several months, yet none of them has a beard when they come out, or Catwoman showing up without a sound on a giant motorcycle inside City Hall still messed things up for me, but the overall attempt of Nolan to try to tie everything up, in a manner that didnt just piss on everything that came before was worthy of praise. I am going to bump it up to a 15......so put that into the official rankings please.

Shane said...

Bane's demise was easily my least favorite thing about this movie. As bad as Boba Fett's? Quite possibly!

OK, so cops without beards is something that I didn't think about at all. I think you've ruined the movie for me. Maybe Robin was sneaking razors to them?

cory said...

Heath Ledger is not in this film, and that gives "Rises" one strike to start with. No villian is going to equal one of the best performances I have seen.

On the other hand, this movie gives a fan of the series everything else they could ask for. It blends great action pieces with emotional depth and story arcs for all of the major characters. It pulls everything together from the first two films and wraps things up in a way that was very touching and satisfying (and often surprising). It is very intelligent, well written and well acted; with great effects and one of my favorite scores. While there are some minor flaws (Barry didn't mention my favorite which is how they went from a day scene at the stock exchange to a night scene minutes later), overall this is a rocking, emotional film that had me entertained thoughout, and in many ways is the best of this great series. The electric Ledger elevated the second film to an 18. "The Dark Knight Rises" does not have that same edge, but is still better than almost any recent action film you could name. I would give this a 17.

cory said...

Oh, and the cops were being given food, so why not toiletries?

And another oh, what about Catwoman on the Bat-bike? Thats gotta be worth a few bonus points. Kairow is right that Hathaway was terrific surprise.

Shane said...

Catwoman on the bat bike was worth 16 points. I confess.

Shane said...

I didn't notice the day-to-night or other continuity errors. You're making me think my 16 is too high.

Matt Snell said...

Just came back from the theatre. No beards is nothing compared to the way Bruce Wayne loses all his money! They say they could possibly prove fraud in the long term - I assume they would use the fact that a terrorist assault on the stock exchange took place moments before Wayne personally brokered hundreds of bad exchanges after an eight-year period of inactivity to build their case.

But it's worse than sloppy plotting - they had to make Batman "poor" so that people wouldn't bitch that this movie compares the Occupy movement to a terrorist organization. I know I'm just supposed to enjoy the action and Catwoman's godgiven curves, but I can't dig the escapism when the script feels like the apocalyptic wet dream of an ultraconservative. My favourite part was when the national anthem plays at a football game moments before everything goes to hell.

My other favourite part was when the nuclear physicist is ordered to arm the reactor, there is a short cut to some marching police, and then back to the physicist with his sleeves rolled up saying "Done!"

Shane said...

Yeah, the stock market thing was quite the stretch. I think you guys are succeeding in making me hate the movie.

"Apocalyptic Wet Dream of an Ultraconservative"...please use that as one of your song titles.