Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

1971 kid flick

Rating: 18/20 (Jen: 17/20; Dylan: 14/20; Emma: 17/20; Abbey: 20/20)

Plot: The reclusive and eccentric titular candy maker holds a contest to invite five annoying children for a tour of his titular factory and a lifetime supply of his scrumptious titular confectionery treats. The tour ends early for some of the children who have poor listening skills. Grandpa Joe gets gas.

I just now realized that this movie is older than me.

Here's a link I stumbled across that suggests Gene Wilder had a lot of influence on the iconic character created in this. It's a great read, not only because it adds a bit to the genius of Wilder's performance but because it shows how classy that guy is. My 4 1/2 readers know that I love Johnny Depp and don't mind Tim Burton, but when I heard that remake was going to be made, the first thing I said was, "No, that's not right. Gene Wilder is Willy Wonka." And I know that I made the outrageous claim that this movie contained the greatest acting performance of all time, but that was actually wrong. The greatest acting performance of all time belongs to Gene Wilder for his work in this movie. Look no further than the wildly grotesque boat ride which not only gives Gene a chance to show his chops but just might be the greatest scene that takes place on a boat in movie history. That song, by the way, has lyrics that are from Dahl's book. I love all of Wonka's sneaky literary allusions which are not in Dahl's book: "Where is fancy bred--in the heart or in the head?" from Shakespeare, "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams" from O'Shaughnessy, Oscar Wilde, Ogden Nash, John Keats. It's like a sweet-toothed lit. major's wet dream! Wilder's multi-lingual tour guiding, the deadpan humor, the curly hair, the somersault, the schizophrenic tone switcherooing, the dance moves, his sweet singing voice, the fluidity of his movement. It's all so brilliant, one of the most whimsically dark characters. As I've said many times, Wilder's most fun to watch when his character is angry, and I try to find as many opportunities as I can in life to imitate his "You get nothing!" near the end. I'm also going to start each school year by saying my classroom is where "all my dreams become realities and some of my realities become dreams" before weeping uncontrollably. Anyway, enough about Gene Wilder and his character. You don't need me to convince you that this is the greatest performance in the history of acting.

All the kids are good, even if they're good in really exaggerated ways. You hate them all, except for Charlie, and you're supposed to. Violet's gum chewing and annoying voice, Veruca's whining, Augustus's general shape, Teevee's know-it-all attitude. You don't mind when terrible things happen to these children because they're really awful young people. Their demises work as little object lessons, too, the dangers of not taking care of one's body, of being too prideful or just a little snotty or mean, of greed, of ennui. Those Oompa Loompas. They'll get you, like enforcers of the consequences of the Seven Deadly Sins. If I counted correctly, there were ten Oompa Loompas in the credits. One was in Labyrinth, one was in The Elephant Man and Time Bandits, one was in fourteen of seventeen episodes of The Prisoner and Magical Mystery Tour, one was in On Her Majesty's Secret Service, one not only played three different characters in A New Hope but was in Willow and two Harry Potter movies, one was an Ewok and acted in both Labyrinth and Willow and Time Bandits, one was not only in one of those C.S. Lewis movies but played a character called Dwarf--Eater of Cars in something called Born to Boogie and was also in Magical Mystery Tour, and one was only in this move. And one of them was named Pepe Poupee (I shit you not!) and was actually a woman (I still shit you not!)! What's it say that all the winners of Wonka's contest are Caucasians, by the way? Anything? And I was surprised to find that Peter Ostrum is another of those great one-and-dones and that he didn't have a single other acting credit. He's as perfect for Charlie as Wilder's perfect for Wonka, and I think a lot of that has to do with his hair. Like Wilder, I guess. The only gripe is that Ostrum's belching is wack. If you're about to be dismembered by a ceiling fan because a carbonated beverage is making you float and you can only save yourself by belching, you need to do it like a man. I'll mention one more performance that I like: David Battley as Charlie's teacher, Mr. Turkentine. I used to think that was Paul Benedict, but it's not. He's hilarious anyway, and one of the funniest lines in the movie that nobody would ever mention is his--the "Well, I can't figure out just two!" when he's teaching percentages. Oh, wait! I am going to mention one more character--Toht from Raiders of the Lost Ark is in this movie! Not the actor, the character--the dude who whispers to the children after they win. Or maybe I'm just on drugs.

Speaking of drugs, what a wonderful world the makers of this create without the need of computer graphics or a lot of special effects. The big candy room? 1/3 of it was actually edible according to Gene Wilder. That river? Yep, actual chocolate. Those wacky machines with their funky moving parts. So much color and so much fun. I'll take this old school set design over what Tim Burton did any day.

This is the second musical my family and I have watched for our summer family movie nights. A lot of the songs are great, too--"The Candy Man," a Sammy Davis Jr. staple; "I've Got a Golden Ticket"; "Pure Imagination," another great Gene Wilder moment; all the Oompah Loompah songs. Now "Cheer Up, Charlie" is pointless and shitty, and although Veruca Salt's "I Want It Now" isn't a terrible song, it doesn't make a lot of sense. Why does one of the children get a song before leaving while the others don't? This would be a memorable movie without the songs, but the songs make it even more memorable.

One of my favorite children's movies that are really made for adults. It's not for adults, you say? Well, go ahead and check for yourself what a snozberry is then. Oh, it's just so hard to not love Roald Dahl.

Bonus point for Pepe Poupee.

7 comments:

Shane said...

This was too long to proofread. Let me know if you find any offensive errors.

cory said...

Good review. I love that this film exists. It has always been and will always be a magical movie that makes me happy to think about. Wilder's performance is perfect and the moment where Charly leaves the Gobstopper and Wonka talks about a good deed melts my heart every time (sounding a little gay there). All of the children are very memorable, and the whole film is fun and unique(until Burton decided to mess with it, anyway). An 18.

Shane said...

Ahh, that is a beautiful moment, one that I forgot to mention. Which is a little surprising considering I covered almost every other minute detail of this movie. But hey, what do you make of Grandpa Joe during that scene? He's ready give away Wonka's secrets because he and Charlie got yelled at and his grandson had to see a bunch of children being potentially killed which could traumatize him for years and give him nightmares. Not cool, Grandpa Joe. Not cool at all.

cory said...

Well, that's why Grandpa could never take over, but Charlie is the right heir. I don't blame Grandpa. He has Freddie Prinze in his future.

Thanks for the Ostrum trivia. I had no idea it was his only role. Nice to quit on a high note.

Barry said...

A 19 from me. It only misses a 20 because of the slightly slower first 20 minutes (And you are right, the Charlie song just brings the film to a halt.)

This movie is actually better than the book, which is a bit meaner and being a Dahl book not at all believable. Amazingly enough this movie creates a world where a candy maker seems to have a little magic and you believe it. Wilder is stunning as Wonka, one of the more charismatic and fascinating characters in film history. Compare this multi dimensional and interesting person with the completely hollow and annoying Johnny Depp character from the recent remake, and you can see how an actors choices can create things. The major way that this movie differs from the book is the addition of the fake Slugworth character. This leads to the absolute best and most genuine moment in the film, (A moment that does not happen in the books) where Charlie gives up the money that his family obviously needs by giving the Gobstopper back to Wonka. Tim Burtons film chooses to remove that addition, and instead gives us a wretched "Willie's Daddy hated Willie" subplot that had no reason to be in any Wonka story.

Anyway, a fantastic film, that has only gotten better as the years have gone by.

Anonymous said...

Shite... twelve years later I'm reading this...

Got to agree with you on a couple of points.
Wilder definitely deserved at LEAST an Oscar nod, if not a statuette;
come on ... I've been saying this for years... kidding around or serious -
And yeah, Popeye Doyle's win is fine with me, alright, but, hey, not even a nomination?

Also, I too thought David Battley was Paul Benedict.
I'm sure our numbers are legion.

Anonymous said...

Cool! I got a comment from an actual human being!

Unless you’re just a really sophisticated robot. Hmm…