You, the Living Redux

2007 Roy Andersson movie

Rating: 18/20 (Mark: 16/20)

I watched this movie again, this time with my brother. He gave it a 16/20 after I told him it was a 17/20. Turns out that I gave it an 18/20, so I'll stick with that. My favorite movies are the ones that look crafted, like somebody didn't just care about the movie as a whole but every single thing that the audience will see or hear in the movie; the ones that look like they belong in museums; the ones made by auteurs, those that are not just movies but movies that you've never seen before; and movies that make me want to laugh and cry at the same time. I've seen this twice and still don't know completely what it's about. Throwing labels at it or trying to describe what it's about doesn't seem all that appropriate. And answering "What's this movie about anyway?" with "It's about life" doesn't make much sense. There's a lot of humanity in these 50 or so vignettes. How somebody unpacks messages from You, the Living will likely be based on his own experiences and feelings about humanity. You should watch it because it's a treat.

After we watched this movie, I had a vanilla milkshake and enjoyed every ounce of it.

3 comments:

cory said...

My comments and 17 still stand from before. Very good movie.

Shane said...

This "review" was completely pointless! You should check out 'Songs from the Second Floor' if you want another movie by this guy that has a nearly identical style and humor. I think it's a little bleaker and the vignettes are longer. Andersson says that, this one, and his next one are a trilogy.

Anonymous said...

that milk shake was from hardees. any hardees representative reading this can give me coupons for the Hawaiian chicken sandwich when you bring it back and a lifetime supply of strawberry shakes