Pillow Talk


1959 romantic comedy

Rating: 14/20

Plot: Doris Day and Rock Hudson share a party line, and the latter's always tying up the line with his phone sex. They eventually meet, and he woos her with his charm while disguising his voice to fool her into thinking he's a hick from Texas. Can the charade continue or will fucking Tony Randall ruin everything?

My brother lent me this movie about 5 years ago, and I've never figured out why. I don't even know why he owns it. It's not a bad movie. It's more charming than it is funny, probably just about what you'd expect from a late-50's romantic comedy. It's always good to see Tony Randall, unless he's in your closet with an ax, of course. Doris Day's got a nice figure, and Rock Hudson is hunk with a bulbous head, like the head of a Republican.

Rex Stetson is a great name. That name just oozes sex.

2 comments:

cory said...

The anti-Tilda Swinton movie! This deserved a much better grade than you gave it...you Grinch. Rock Hudson! Doris Day! The g-rated sexual banter! An age of party-line and rotary phones! I have always liked this fluffy, colorful movie. Tony Randall is a hoot and the stars have great chemistry, and for Rock Hudson that is great acting. It is innocent and borderline silly, but full of light-hearted charm and light humor. An 18! Great, now I've got the theme song stuck in my head for the rest of the night. An 18 for the song!

Shane said...

Ya think? It just seemed like your typical rom-com from that time period to me. I didn't think Rock Hudson or Doris Day really had all that much charisma. My brother likes this a lot more than I do, too, so I'm probably just wrong about it.