Bad Movie Club: Tammy and the T-Rex

1994 romantic comedy

Rating: 5/20

Bad Movie Rating: 2/5 (Fred: .5/5; Libby: 1/5; Josh: 2/5; Jeremy: not sure he started this one)

Plot: After a jealous ex-boyfriend puts the titular high school student's boyfriend in a coma, that dead guy from Weekend at Bernie's and his assistant steal his brain and put it in a mechanical dinosaur. Tammy has to learn to love her boyfriend's new form. And by love, I am actually talking about having sex with.

Because I think that's what the movie insinuated. Granted, we watched a bad quality version of this movie and couldn't really see much of anything, but I'm pretty sure we're supposed to think that Tammy had sexual intercourse with a Tyrannosaurus Rex which, any way you think about it, is pretty hot. Missionary, doggie style, reverse cowgirl, the T-Rex, the latter sex position which has to involve a lot of growling and the scrunching in of arms for reasons that I can't get straight in my head no matter how much I've tried. And teeth. Teeth would definitely have to be involved. I was excited about watching this one because it's from the brilliant mind that brought us Mac and Me, but it was no Mac and Me. Few films are, however. There's a rockin' dinosaur song from Simon Stokes and the Black Whip Thrill Band ("Dinosaur music inside my brain/Sometimes I feel like I'm gonna go insane"), a stereotypically gay token black character (because, as Josh pointed out, they didn't have the budget for both a separate stereotypically gay and token black characters), and a performance by Terry Kiser that is over-the-top enough to show us all why they don't even let him play living characters in most of his movies. Both the sex and the violence are teases, but although there's something thrilling about seeing an obviously-fake T-Rex stomping around clumsily or playing charades with its tiny T-Rex arms or riding in the back of a truck or holding up a little mirror and look at himself or dialing a telephone in a phone booth and leaving what must have been a confusing answering machine message. However, this doesn't quite deliver like a bad movie should. Fans of Denise Richards or Paul Walker might be interested, and shane-movies favorite George "Buck" Flower also has a role. My favorite character was Uncle Bob played by John F. Goff who I think was just in this movie because the director owed him a favor. Best scene: Tammy and the gay friend look for a body to steal in the morgue and getting a "thumbs-up" or "thumbs-down" from the T-Rex waiting in the truck outside. Damn, I'm almost convincing myself that I liked this movie better than I actually did.

No comments: