In a World. . .


2013 comedy

Rating: 13/20

Plot: The daughter of a trailer voice-over legend tries to get a start in the cut-throat world of that profession.

Two movies in a row where the writer-director-star must have a lot of confidence. Here, Lake Bell has a scene where another character calls her "really really pretty," which, although she isn't exactly ugly, still has to take a certain amount of self-assuredness, doesn't it? I watched this because it's got Demetri Martin, a comedian I really like; Fred Melamed, a guy whose back hair I've always wanted to see a lot of; and Nick Offerman, who despite being sans mustache does get a cool hat and lines like "You've got to take that thing out of here before she strains her milk." It's not a bad little movie, and I liked being forced to think about voice-over stuff as an actual craft. Melamed gets a couple almost-funny scenes, including his part in a montage where he's warming up his voice. But for the most part, this wasn't really funny at all. From a feminists perspective, it's also a little confusing. I'm not sure what it's trying to say exactly. I had a difficult time connecting with any of these characters, so maybe it's a case where this just wasn't for me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I didn't even know it had a feminist message until late in the movie. I was expecting a "quirky comedy," and there was some comedy to be heard, but the affair and other serious attempts were kind of off-putting -- they didn't fit.

But, you're right in the sense that it was a good little film. The film industry and what does into producing a film has always been interesting to me, so this had my attention from the get-go.