The Maze Runner


2014 dystopian movie

Rating: 10/20 (Abbey: 13/20)

Plot: Boys try to figure out how to get out of a maze.

Despite impressive special effects, this movie failed to grab me. I was really bored.

Because I was bored with the actual story, I tried to figure out a subtext. Once the lone female character was introduced, I thought for sure this would end up being some sort of metaphor for the sexual awakening of males with that complicated maze representing--even visually in some shots--the complex and foreign anatomy of a woman, man's search for that mysterious G-spot, a terrifying jaunt for snipes or a clitoris. Boys holding poles, screeching cootie monsters, bad cases of hickeys and probably blue balls as well.

The movie turned out to have nothing to do with any of that. It was very literally about boys trying to find a way out of a maze.

No comments: