Palindromes

2004 artsy-fartsy after-school special

Rating: 8/20

Plot: Aviva is a teenage girl who is sometimes skinny, sometimes fat, sometimes white, and sometimes fat. She really wants to have a baby, and after finding out that the best way to go about that is to have sexual intercourse, she finds a penis belonging to a chubby obnoxious kid and gets busy. And boom-shakalaka, a baby is conceived! Huzzah!Her ultra-religious mother forces her to have an abortion. Later, she runs away, stays with a family of funky Christian musicians with a variety of mental deficiencies and deformities, and hooks up with an old guy. Long before then, however, interest is lost.

Well, I had considered giving this bonus points for audacity and creative effort, but upon completion, I realized that was just crap. There's something that I just can't stand about the work of Todd Solondz, and this one is much worse than the over-hyped Welcome to the Dollhouse and Happiness and Storytelling. Surely there are less obnoxious ways to show how bleak life sometimes is. Having various actresses playing the protagonist? Borderline fun-poking at the disabled? Shocking twists and shocking turns and shocking shock value? The dipsy soundtrack? The oh-so-clever palindromic structure? Comes across as pretentious, artsy-fartsy crap. I don't really keep track of these things, but I have to believe this movie inspired more actual groans than anything else I've seen this year.

Year this seen I've else anything than groans actual more inspired movie this believe to have I but, things these of track keep really don't I. Crap fartsy-artsy, pretentious as across comes. Structure palindromic clever-so-oh the? Soundtrack dipsy the? Value shock shocking and turns shocking and twists shocking? Disabled the at poking-fun borderline? Protagonist the playing actresses various having? Is sometimes life bleak how show to ways obnoxious less are there surely. Storytelling and Happiness and Dollhouse the to Welcome hyped-over the than worse much is one this, and Solondz Todd of work the about stand can't just I that something there's. Crap just was realized I completion upon but, effort creative and audacity for points bonus this giving considered had I, well.

No comments: