The Seventh Seal

1957 comedy

Rating: 18/20

Plot: A knight returning from the Crusades meets up with Death and asks for a reprieve. He challenges Death to a game of chess, a game which continues as he continues his travels back to his home. He meets up with some actors, a priest-turned-thief, a blacksmith and his wife, and a variety of other unfortunate souls facing death and plague. LOL!

Quite possibly the funniest comedy ever made! A hilarious precursor to the works of Benny Hill and the Farrelly Brothers, The Seventh Seal includes a lovable cast of characters delivering lines dripping with both dry wit and bawdy humor, along with slapstick and visual gags. From the uproariously funny dance choreography of the crippled plague victims to the scene where Death's mother catches him pleasuring himself in the laundry room, this one will have you laughing for days. Literally. You'll be sitting at your workplace and then you'll be all like, "LOL!" and everybody will look at you and be like, "What's so funny?" and you'll be like, "OMG! I just saw The Seventh Seal!" and they'll be like, "Bergman? That shiznit is the funnizzle! Damn straight. LMAO!" This is a movie all your pals will be quoting right along with their Simpsons and their Saturday Night Live quotes. You don't want to be the only one not in on the joke when you frat brother says, "Most people think neither of death or nothingness" while your other friend, fighting snickers, answers, "But one day you will stand at the edge of life and face darkness!" LOL!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched this a few months ago because I'm on a "see all of the greatest movies" kick. This is high on all expert's lists so maybe I was bound to be a little disappointed. Maybe I was expecting a better chess match. Sydow was like, "I'm gonna kick yo' a.. Death", but then two hours later he was like, "look Death, a plane!" and then tries to screw with the pieces. The Death housecall at the end was also very anticlimactic. A 16.

l@rstonovich said...

cory, it's okay to spell out "ass" without a 2/3 ellipse. shane's family has seen worse. they've seen shane's a..

Anonymous said...

I agree that I can think of nothing more horrible than that, but sadly I generally engage in this banter at work where a.. and the many other cuss words and combinations I would like to use are frowned upon. Actually, just knowing that I'm in contact with you two would probably make my booses rethink my employment.

Shane said...

Your booses? That's my new favorite typographical error!

I liked watching 'Sawdust and Tinsel' better than 'The Seventh Seal'...it's one of those, "Yeah, I can see why this is pretty great and all, but it's sort of lost its effect in the fifty years since its release and I'm a little bored." Is it a work of genius? Yeah, I guess. But it can also be blamed for a lot of crap that followed. Like 'Gospel According to Harry' which sucked ass.

That's right. I'm not afraid to type out the whole word because my booses will never see this!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, booses is funny, but for "The Graduate" I somehow typed "zmusic" which is like some German thing or I'm implying the music puts one to sleep. I need to proooofrread better since this is for posterity.