Practical Magic

1998 romantic comedy

Rating: 5/20 (Jen: 8/20)

Plot: Sally and Gillian come from a long line of witches. As they grow into adulthood, they desire more normal lives with normal loves, but unfortunately a family curse seems to kill off all men who they fall in love with.

This is one of my least favorite movie-watching experiences of the year. Jen had her reasons for watching this (wanting to check out the house or something), and unfortunately for her, I don't think I'll ever forgive her for it. Thing is, this idea could have made for whimsical, funny movie, but the script was so bad and the story was all over the place any potential fun was just sucked out of the thing. Maybe I kept dozing off or something, but it almost seemed like I was watching excerpts from a television series. One that would likely be cancelled after four episodes. The story just didn't make much sense. The acting was also terrible, but that very well could have been because of the script. Well, that and the fact that Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman are in it. I've said it before and I'll say it again--Nicole Kidman is nearly completely worthless in films unless she's naked. Aidan Quinn, by the way, was the most terrible at all, but I have no desire to see him naked.

No comments: