You've Got Mail

1998 romantic comedy

Rating: 11/20 (Jen: 17/20)

Plot: Joe Fox is the "son" of Fox & Son Books, a discount book store chain. Kathleen is the owner of a quaint store for children's books called Shop Around the Corner. Since the former's actions threaten to put the latter out of business, they should be enemies. However, without knowing it, they've been corresponding electronically, smitten with each other despite already being in relationships with douche bags. The relationship between their secret identities grows while their actual physical interactions cause them to hate each other more and more.

Completely harmless. Jen's reasons for wanting to see this also had to do with interior decorating. The movie's sweet enough, but it's simultaneously too long and suffers from a final half hour that seems too rushed and unbelievable. There are also some unforgivably cliched moments--most notably when she's closing up the shop and has some sort of acid flashback--and a soundtrack that is fairly obnoxious except for the Harry Nilsson. By the way, where the hell did Meg Ryan go? And why didn't Tom Hanks go with her?

4 comments:

l@rstonovich said...

Rad, now I'm not as sad about you skipping out on this years nano... you're obviously busy rewatching the classics.

35k BITCH!

word verification: PRICT

Anonymous said...

I was so uninspired by this movie that I can't even remember what I didn't like about it- apologies to "I give this a 17" Jennifer. Sort of a romantic comedy by the numbers, if I recall. I think an 11 is about right.

Shane said...

winter, I'm still blaming the nano site. When I couldn't update my word count total the second time, it knocked the wind out of me. That and school work. And kids. I watched this one more for the wife than anything...

Besides, I think I'm going to work on the Bobby Fischer novel next year and serialize like in the old Boobop days. I've decided that if I'm ever going to finish a project, I need to know that three people are reading and enjoying it.

Anonymous said...

Will Bobby Fischer a lovely human being in your novel as he was in real life?