Kung-Fu Panda 3


2016 sequel

Rating: 12/20 (Buster: 0/20)

Plot: Po, the kung-fu fightin' panda, meets his father and a bunch of other pandas from a Shaolin panda village. Meanwhile, a mean yak named Kai is stealing everybody's chi.

It's not that I think these movies are bad or anything. I don't particularly care for the characters or ever think the movies are funny at all, but the action scenes are often very well done, and there are frequently some beautiful things to look at. I really a lot of the setting details and those action sequences where there's often so much going on that I feel like rewinding to make sure I caught everything. I also like when the animation becomes two-dimensional because it reminds me of Samurai Jack.

Of course, I'm not really ever going to rewind a Kung-Fu panda movie because that would just prolong the experience. And I'm at a stage in my life where I can't prolong things that are mediocre. Well, except for my penis maybe.

There's nothing gripping about the conflict in this, and that yak just doesn't do it for me. The whole thing feels like it's going through the motions, but I suppose for anybody who liked the first two movies, they'll enjoy this more-of-the-same sequel nearly as much.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These movies have gotten progressively worse. A 19, 15, 13. The villains are not very villainy and without the distraction of a great story and dialogue, one notices the goofy and manipulative plot.

Shane said...

You like the original MUCH more than me, and I can't even remember the second one at all. Buster, apparently, really didn't like it. I asked her for a rating today, and she told me 0/20. I asked why, and she told me, "I don't like that movie. You made me watch it." I'm not sure what's going on there.